Distant Relatives Ecolodge and Backpackers
About Distant Relatives Ecolodge and Backpackers
Sitting above the emerald waters of Kilifi Lagoon is Distant Relatives Ecolodge and Backpackers. Formed with the intention of creating a space which honors people and the environment alike, Distant Relatives embraces guests from all walks of life to visit our untouched piece of paradise.
As a travelers haven, Distant Relatives offers a pocket-friendly alternative to other coastal accommodations. Choose from camping under the stars, airy dormitories, safari tents, private rooms and spacious ensuite Bandas with their own private gardens and courtyards. Our space is designed to promote socially and environmentally conscious living. Our accommodations work in cohesion with the natural world surrounding them. From our permaculture garden to eco-toilets, we try to minimize our footprint in every way possible.
Start your mornings with the smell of freshly brewed Kenyan coffee, sunrise yoga and a dip in the pool. Fill your days sunbathing on Bofa beach, reef snorkeling in crystal clear waters or exploring nearby ruins. At night enjoy a game of beach volleyball, a moonlit dhow sail, beach bonfires, live music or swim in a sea of bioluminescent stars on our creek beach.
The following Terms and Conditions apply to all bookings made with Distant Relatives Ltd, whether the booking was made directly or via a partner company (e.g. tour operator, travel agent, online booking website etc). We kindly ask that you take a moment to read them prior to making a Booking.
In these Terms and Conditions the following... The following Terms and Conditions apply to all bookings made with Distant Relatives Ltd, whether the booking was made directly or via a partner company (e.g. tour operator, travel agent, online booking website etc). We kindly ask that you take a moment to read them prior to making a Booking.
In these Terms and Conditions the following definitions apply:
• “Peak Season” is defined as the period from 15th December to 15th January, as well the entire month of August and the week of Easter ending in Easter Sunday.
• The person making the booking will be deemed to have accepted these Terms and Conditions on behalf of all persons who will be staying with us under the booking once any payment is made in relation to the booking.
Arrivals and Departures
• Normal check-in time is from 2:00 pm. Check-out time is 10:00 am. If you check in after 4:00 pm, please inform us by phone of your expected arrival time as well as any requests for dinner.
• Early arrivals. If you are arriving early (before 7:30am) please let us know in advance. If arriving before 7:30am our security will show you into our common rooms where you can await our reception staff.
• If you are more than 5 hours late from your expected arrival time and are not contactable by phone your room will be made available to others and you will forfit any deposits paid.
• Photographic Identification:
- When you check-in you will be asked to provide photographic identification.
- If you are unable to provide such identification, we may decide to cancel your booking and you may be liable to pay the Company an amount equal to the full booking amount plus any other costs incurred by The Company in connection with the booking. Accordingly, any pre-payment you have made in relation to the booking will be forfeited to The Company under this term.
• Right of admission: The Company reserves the right to refuse any booking for any reason at its own discretion.
• The Company reserves the right to charge The Guest in full for any breakages or damage of any kind what so ever whether intentional or not, to any of The Companies or any other Guests facilities and/or possessions.
Deposit policy & Payment method
• Deposits should only be made once we have confirmed availability. Do not send a deposit before the Company has approved your Booking. If a deposit was made before you received approval of your Booking, your deposit may be forfeited, or at least, any cost incurred in sending you back the money may be deducted.
• Until the full amount of your Booking’s deposit is received and acknowledged by The Company, your Booking can not be considered as secured and the Company reserves the right to cancel your Booking and any monies paid by you in relation to your Booking will be forfeited to the Company.
• Although final payment of your booking may have been made, it is only when the Company has sent you confirmation of your payment and booking that your booking can be considered as confirmed. Until then, all bookings are considered unconfirmed. Until then, the Company is entitled to let the room/bed to another customer. Of course, by all means, the Company will avoid such situations and are only included in these Terms and Conditions should such an unlikely situation occur.
• While Credit Card payment facilities and direct bank to bank transfers (internet banking ) have not yet been established, a 5% surcharge would apply to all such payments.
Pricelist & Seasonal rates:
• The prices displayed on the website, brochures, or anywhere else exclude all meals, beverages, transport, activities, laundry or room service unless otherwise specified.
• If we have quoted you for one bed in the dormitory, the price quoted is only for one person. Any additional person, whether in separate or same bed will be charged extra. Same occurs for private rooms – our quote shall specify single, double or triple. Should any extra person than the amount quoted for share the facilities, although this may not be for the entire duration of the booking, this will be charged extra and accordingly to the above price list.
• Special requests must be indicated to us at the time of booking, however, they cannot be guaranteed. An extra charge may be payable to facilitate a special request, unless stated otherwise in writing by our Management. Any customer with restricted mobility, particular care requirements or disabilities should discuss their requirements at the time of booking. Whilst we will use reasonable endeavours to accommodate such needs, they cannot be guaranteed unless we confirm this to you in writing.
• The exclusive use of a particular area of the Company’s premises for a conference, meeting, party or workshop of any kind will incur an extra cost, to be determined by the Comopany’s management according to the specifics of such a request (e.g. number of people, number of tables and chairs required, food, coffe and tea, use of our projector and sound system etc).
• If departure in the midle of the night, or arrival early morning, accommodtion for the night to be paid in full.
• Children's prices:
- Full additional charges will apply if an extra bed is required, regardless of the age of the child.
- For children under 4 years occupying the same bed as parent (s), no extra costs will apply.
- Food: Breakfast policy, free below four years free; 4-11 years 50%; Children 12 years and above charged at full rate.
Cancellation and changes made by us
• The Company reserves the right to cancel a Booking no later than 30 days before the date of your booking. With any form of cancellation, the Company will offer you alternative arrangements, and, if the price of your alternative booking is of lower value than the original booking the Company will refund the difference to you. If you do not accept alternative arrangements we will refund all payments you have made to the Company.
• In case of ‘Force Majeure’ or government travel advice there will be no refund and the Company will not be liable for any additional costs incurred by you.
The Company shall not be in breach of this Agreement if it does not provide the services under this Agreement due to the following circumstances:
• Industrial action by the Company’s employees
• Industrial action by the staff of one of the Company’s suppliers
• Fire, lighting, explosion, riot, civil commotion, malicious damage, extreme weather conditions, storm, flood, burst pipes, earthquake , terrorism and the Hotel being damaged or destroyed.
• Government travel advice, breakdown of machinery, or any failure to supply the Hotel with gas, electricity, water and so on, outside the control of the Company.
If any of the above occurs the Company will do its best to avoid any inconvenience.
There may be limited spaces available. If you are driving large vehicles such as overland trucks, or have any particular vehicle requirements please discuss these with us at the time of booking.
• Please be aware that at certain times throughout the year, we will be hosting weddings, events and parties, which you may feel would be an intrusion on your break. Please contact the Company directly in advance of your stay for further information about our events calendar.
• Event tickets are non-refundable.
Use of Information & Publicity
• You consent and authorise the Company to collect the email address you provide on check-in and add it you to our mailing list. If you would rather not, please advise our reception and we will not add your email address to the mailing list.
• You agree that the Company may use images of you taken during your stay without recourse to you and without compensation to you, for publicity and promotion purposes only through whatever medium it chooses.
Liability & Acceptance of Risk
• You agree to indemnify the Company from any claims made by you for incidents arising during your stay.
• To the fullest extent permitted by law, the Company does not accept liability for any loss, damage, death or injury however caused (including through negligence), which you may directly or indirectly suffer in connection with or arising from this contract or your participation in a trip, or in respect of a failure or omission on the part of the Company to comply with its obligations under this contract. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you also agree to release the Company and its directors, owners, employees, agents and Partners from all costs, liability, loss and damage incurred by you before, during or after your Booking period and waive any associated claims that you may have against the Company.
• The Company does not accept liability for loss or damage to any object, equipment, furniture, stock or any other property brought onto the premises by the Guest or persons authorised by the Guest. A safe and a locked room are provided for the convenience of the Guests but any property deposited there is entirely at your own risk. The Company will endeavour to assist Guests with storage of their equipment, however it excludes liability for the loss or damage of those items.
• The Company shall not be liable for any special, indirect, consequential or pure economic loss including but not limited to loss of profits, loss of business; depletion of goodwill and/or similar losses. see more
Distant Relatives Ecolodge and Backpackers Map
*Distances are shown as the crow flies and not necessarily the actual travelling